Monday, May 29, 2023

Colorado Springs: My Spouse Has Overdue Tax and/or Owes Back Child Support! What Are My Options?


 

You were expecting a big refund, but instead you get an IRS letter stating that your tax refund is being applied to an outstanding overdue financial debt owed by your spouse.   This debt can be overdue federal or state taxes, past due child support, or one of many reasons your federal and sometimes even your state refund can be kept by the tax agency.  Is the refund completely lost?  Is there any option for the spouse who does not owe the debt created before marriage?

Internal Revenue Code Section 6015 provides provides relief in these circumstances.  The spouse who does not owe the debt is considered an "injured spouse."   A Form 8379 can be filed either separately or with the tax return.  When correctly completed the IRS will calculate what the injured spouse will receive and send their portion of the refund either in a check or through direct deposit.

Marcelino Dodge, Enrolled Agent of Cash Tracks Financial has helped many injured spouses collect their refunds for over 20 years.



525 N Cascade Ave., Suite 200
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
(719) 359-8789
success@cashtracksfinancial.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Colorado Springs: Does Your Tax Professional Have the Right Ingredients?

  I was waiting for my pizza out back of The Next Us Building. I was able to get what I wanted on my pizza. I thought "Do taxpayers g...